Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others. - Booker T. Washington
Kids Co. volunteers are special. They help us raise the necessary dollars to support our programs, govern our nonprofit, grow our child care activities, support our scholarship fund, and give kids a chance to be kids! It’s also a known fact that people who give are happier than those on the receiving end. Read more on the Top 10 Reasons to Volunteer by clicking here.
Interested in volunteering with Kids Co. and changing the course of a kids’ life? There may be an opening for you!
Kids Co. Board Member
Purpose of Position
The Board of Directors is responsible for raising funds for Kids Co., providing organizational advice, governance, policy direction, and oversight with respect to the management and administration of Evergreen Children’s Association dba Kids Co. Members of the Board share these responsibilities. (read more button)
Principal Board Responsibilities
1. Governance – The Board is responsible for general governance of the organization, including by providing oversight of officers and committees, and ensuring compliance with organization articles and bylaws.
2. Fundraising – The Board is responsible for fundraising and development on behalf of the organization, including efforts to develop and maintain sources of giving to the organization.
3. Financial – The Board is responsible for oversight of the finances and financial management of the organization. This includes adoption and oversight of the annual budget, ensuring the observance of proper financial controls, and working with independent outside auditors.
4. Planning – The Board is responsible for formulating and prioritizing program planning as well as both short-term and long-term organizational goals.
5. Policies – The Board is responsible for oversight of organizational policies and procedures.
6. Personnel – The Board hires, supervises, and evaluates the organization’s President/CEO, and advises on leadership and staff development issues and other personnel matters.
7. Community Relations – The Board supports the organization in its public and community outreach efforts, and promotes the organization to others.
• The minimum term length for Board members is two years.
• Regular Board meetings are held bi-monthly (6/year) – typically on the second Tuesday of every other month. Meetings typically last two hours.
• Committees typically meet an average of 4-6 times per year.
Principal Requirements of Board Members
All board members are required to commit to the following:
• Serve for one at least two year term, with possibility of renewal upon Board approval.
• Attend regular bi-monthly board meetings, and occasional special meetings or events.
• Participate on one board committee.
• Make a financial contribution at a leadership level, commensurate with one’s ability.
General Expectations of Board Members
All Board members are expected to:
• Satisfy the principal requirements referenced above.
• Understand the role and responsibilities of the Board and its members.
• Become sufficiently knowledgeable about the organization and its operations, finances, budget, policies, and procedures to provide useful input and make informed decisions.
• Be alert to community issues that concern the organization.
• Hold the organization to a high standard of performance and participate in efforts to make the organization a respected leader in its field and in the community.
• Participate in Board meetings in an active and respectful manner, including reading materials, coming prepared to discuss key topics, asking for clarification where appropriate, actively seeking to identify different opinions and options, listening carefully to board members and staff, and keeping an open mind and objective perspective in all discussions.
• Respect the confidentiality of the Board’s business.
• Put aside personal agendas and endeavor to make decisions in the organization’s best interests. (read less button)
Interested, contact Susan R. Brown at or call 206-781-8062
Kids Co. Development Committee
The primary function of Kids Co.’s Development Committee is to develop and execute a comprehensive fund development plan that includes a mix of fundraising strategies that achieve year-end & long-term financial goals, widens the Kids Co. community, and supports our students’ needs. (read more button)
At Kids Co. we provide safe spaces that inspire wonder, curiosity, and play for the kids in our care. Each fundraising endeavor should value Kid Co. families and our commitment to the spaces we provide.
• Make Kids Co. a personal charitable priority;
• Proactively develop relationships with potential funding sources;
• Have the ability to create and provide opportunities for prospects to contribute to Kids Co.
To work with staff and other committee members to establish a fundraising plan that incorporates a series of appropriate vehicles, such as direct mail, virtual events, Kid/Family-centric events, and when appropriate, special events.
To work with Kids Co.’s fundraising staff in efforts to reach annual fundraising goals.
To take the lead in certain types of outreach efforts, such as chairing a special event committee or hosting fundraising party, to create collaborative, fun activities that will encourage giving and organization-wide relationships with an every-expanding community.
To be actively involved in fundraising efforts, such as making telephone calls to ask for support or say “thank you” to donors.
To monitor fundraising efforts to be sure that ethical practices are in place, that donors are acknowledged appropriately, that fundraising efforts are cost-effective, and that we are using best practices.
• Committee meetings are 6 times a year in September, November, January, March, May, and July. Members may attend in person or conference call in.
• This is a proactive committee where members are expected to participate and follow through on tasks.
• The Kids Co. staff is there to be help and assist. Contact our development department (206-781-8062 x30 / email). (read less button)
Volunteer with Kids
One of the most satisfying, fun, and productive ways to unite is volunteering for community service projects. Volunteerism also sets a good example for kids and helps the community. (read more button)
Host a Kids Co. Field Trip at Your Place of Work
Activities could include a reading session, design project, or tour of your store. With our program team’s assistance we would develop a dynamic field trip that would engage the kids in your company culture by providing the kids with the best possible service – and teach them how they can integrate making people feel good through kindness and a positive environment.
Create and send valentines to one or more of our Kids Co. Centers in and vise versa. Everyone loves getting cards but when you see the faces of our students when they have the opportunity to “give and get” you’ll get a heart-warming reaction.
Interested in the ideas above or have one of your own? Email ECA Admin and you’ll be routed to the right person.
Fun article on “Why Volunteer With Children?,” Fun read. Click here.