Pay Range: $17.35/hr. – 21.15/hr.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: Works closely with the Program Manager in offering a high quality child care experience according to the philosophies, policies, and procedures of the organization. The Preschool Teacher’s job function is to create a safe environment, and to plan and implement developmentally appropriate activities for preschool children (3-5 years).
This is an hourly position with hours that vary depending on schedule, site, and time of year.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote and incorporate Kids Co.’s mission and vision in all duties and in the community.
- Create a warm and welcoming environment where children and families are greeted by name, and the cultures of the community are represented through activities, art, literature, etc.
- Maintain a safe environment for children by following state licensing standards, keeping facilities hazard-free, ensuring equipment and play space are in working order, and being aware of potential threats to safety.
- Actively play with and supervise children ensuring they are within visual and auditory range at all times.
- Create a fun environment that encourages exploration, active learning, and play by providing opportunities for children to interact with a variety of learning stations.
- Plan and execute developmentally appropriate activities using the provided curriculum.
- Teach and develop positive social behaviors in children that nurture peer-to-peer relationship building and support continuity of care. Support positive behavior reinforcement using the Prevent, Teach, Reinforce (PTR) model.
- Track each child’s progress on a daily basis and provide regular written reports for families using required forms.
- Conduct twice yearly parent-teacher conferences.
- Follow child tracking and search procedures.
- Keep informed of individual child allergies/restrictions, medical needs, schedules, authorized pick-ups, etc.
- Document all accidents, illnesses, incidents, and administered medications on the required forms immediately after occurrence.
- Develop and maintain professional and positive relationships with families. Provide regular feedback about their child’s day.
- Attend community events, regular staff meetings, and trainings as required by Kids Co. and state licensing to keep current of new developments in ECE, out of school time care, and state regulations.
- Ensure that all information regarding children, families, and staff is kept confidential. Sharing of information is prohibited.
- Follow all state licensing rules and regulations, and Kids Co. policies and procedures.
- Report suspected incidents of abuse and neglect as required by Washington State Law.
- Track program supply inventory and report needs to supervisor.
- Prepare and serve daily meals and snacks.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and sanitary environment by performing daily cleaning duties. These duties may include washing dishes, cleaning restrooms, mopping/vacuuming floors, sanitizing surfaces, taking trash out, etc.
- Assist with basic administrative duties in the absence of the supervisor, such as answering the center phone, collecting payments, accepting and/or providing families with requested forms, etc.
- Interact with supervisor, co-workers, and families in a professional and respectful manner.
- Promote team work and collaboration among Kids Co. staff.
- Perform additional job-related duties, special projects, and tasks as assigned by direct supervisor or Kids Co. management.
These duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- AA in Early Childhood Education or equivalency, preferred.
- 1 year experience working with preschool age children.
- TB test (prior to start date).
- Cleared portable background check (apply within 7 days of hire).
- 30 hours basic STARS training (complete within 90 days of hire).
- First Aid and child/adult CPR certification (within 60 days of hire).
- HIV/AIDS and annual BBP trainings (within 30 days of hire).
- Annual disaster preparedness training (within 7 days if hire).
- WA State food handlers permit (within 30 days).
- Complete Kids Co. orientation (within 7 days of hire).
- Knowledge of Creative Curriculum, HighScope, and TSG, preferred.
- Reliable attendance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to speak and understand basic English. This position is very active and requires sitting, standing, walking, running, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 lbs. and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. The employee must be able to see and hear children at all times for the safety of children and co-workers.
Kids Co. is committed to creating a diverse work environment and proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.